Friday 22 November 2013

Paleo Cafe - Bondi Junction

ESPECIALLY if you've been living in a cave, you would have heard of the Paleo lifestyle or way of eating (See what I did there hehe).

A Paleo or Primal lifestyle refers to living as humans "presumably" lived in the paleolithic era. I wont pretend to be an expert, but the diet itself involves eating plenty of meat, fish, fruit, vegetables & nuts, while trying to avoid all processed foods, dairy, sugars, grains or just generally those foods with a high glycemic load.

Although the way I eat aligns fairly closely with this lifestyle during the week, i'm not quite ready for the whole haul and really enjoy the occasional piece of bread or potato and love my morning oats & granola. It is still a way of eating i find has some really very good points as it encourages the consumption of good fats, leafy greens and meats, along with many other healthy foods, but I have also seen it referred to as a fad diet, which is quite true, as by definition that includes cutting out any major food groups.

Anyway.. I digress..

This morning I caught up with a good friend for breakfast in Bondi Junction. When she suggested the Paleo Cafe, I was keen to try it out, as i had been since i saw it floating around social media.

We both ordered the free range eggs (poached) and avocado on paleo toast, although what is in the toast is not described in any detail.


The meal was presented quite well, although I thought that almost a full avocado was possibly a bit much for one portion. The eggs were tasty & the toast was ok, not that I had much to compare it to as this was my first time forraying into the area. My friend who has followed the lifestyle for some time, was much less of a fan.

After being won over by Palate's, Soy Chai Latte last week, I thought i'd try their version with coconut milk.



To be honest it was just horrible, one of the worst coffees I have ever had. It was WAY too milky & with really only a hint of cinnamony taste. I dont know if it was the use of coconut milk too, but the seperation that occured between liquids at the bottom of my coffee, made it look even less appealing.

I then tried a Refresh Juice, which had Apple, Lime, Mint & Coconut Water. Again, i wasn't really blown away, it was pretty average. Alot of fluff and not much substance.

 

Would I go back? Maybe. Some of the other items that came out to those around us looked pretty good (including the paleo pancakes), and they have a pretty big variety of options, for lunch too - (see full menu here) But witha variety of other great healthy options in the Eastern Suburbs, I certainly wont be rushing back.





No comments:

Post a Comment